|Photos in the Presidential
Library and Museum :
|Beauvoir, (two french words: Beau-Beautiful
and Voir-To see) was built by wealthy Mississippi
planter entrepreneur James Brown in 1848.
The house was completed in 1852. After the
Browns, in 1873 the house was bought by Frank
Johnson but only after two months he sold it to
Sarah Ann Ellis Dorsey.
Sarah was a great admirer of Jefferson Davis.
She named her new home Beauvoir (Beautiful view).
She invited Jefferson Davis to write his memoirs
there. He moved into the Library Cottage in 1877
|Beauvoir, a Mississippi Historic Landmark and a National Historic Landmark, is dedicated to preserving and interpreting the legacy of American
Statesman and Confederate President Jefferson Davis and the Confederate Soldier. Owned and operated by the Mississippi Division United Sons of
Confederate Veterans, Inc., a non profit organization, Beauvoir must rely upon admission receipts, gift shops sales and contributions for its funding.
|The actual Museum,
next to Beauvoir